Slow Cooker Green Beans, Ham and Potatoes
I love to make things like this. Just put everything in the pot and let it cook. It is so simple and just delicious. I had a ham bone leftover with quite a bit of ham on it, so I used it instead of ham hocks. This cooks for 4 to 4 1/2 hrs.
- 2 lbs. fresh green beans, rinsed and trimmed
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 ham hocks
- 1 1/2 lbs. new potatoes, quartered
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1 tablespoon chicken bouillon granules
Halve beans if they are large, place in a slow cooker with water to barely cover, and add onion and ham hocks. Cover and cook on high until simmering. Reduce heat to low, and cook for 2 to 3 hours, or until beans are crisp but not done.
Add potatoes, and cook for another 45 minutes. While potatoes are cooking, remove ham hocks from slow cooker, and remove meat from bones. Chop or shred meat, and return to slow cooker. Season with garlic powder, onion powder, seasoning salt, and bouillon. Cook until potatoes are done, then adjust seasoning to taste.
To serve, use a slotted spoon to put beans, potatoes, and ham into a serving dish with a little broth.
“When we put our cares into His hands, He puts His peace into our hearts.”
Easiest-Ever Pulled Pork
- Boneless pork loin
- 1 bottle barbecue sauce (We like Bull’s Eye Original.)
Put your boneless pork loin in the slow cooker. Pour your sauce over it. Cook on low for 8 hours. Shred with two forks in the slow cooker and serve on buns.
Invite friends over and have a party.
“Christ at the center brings life into focus.”
Easy Crock Pot Potato Soup
This is so easy and so delicious. Put it on in the morning before you leave and supper will be ready when you get home.
- 1 (30-oz.) bag of frozen diced hash browns
- 2 (14.5-oz.) cans chicken broth
- 1 (10-oz.) can cream of chicken soup
- 1 (8-oz.) pkg. cream cheese (not fat free)
- 3 oz. pkg. bacon bits
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
Put the frozen potatoes in the crock pot. Add in the broth, soup and bacon bits. Cook on low for 8 hours or until potatoes are tender.
An hour before serving, cut the cream cheese into small cubes. Place the cubes in the crock pot. Mix a few times throughout the hour before serving.
Once the cream cheese is completely mixed in, it’s ready to serve. Top with cheddar cheese and serve.
“Only as we follow Christ can we lead others in the right direction.”
The story behind this dish is that once you eat it, you end up craving it. It works as a main dish or a side dish. And you can make it in the slow cooker or make on the stove. This is also a pantry meal, as most of the ingredients will already be in your pantry. And if you cook it on the stove, it only takes 30 minutes.
- 1 can (16 oz.) red kidney beans, undrained
- 1 can (16 – 28 oz.) baked beans, undrained (I use vegetarian)
- 1 can (16 oz.) butter beans, undrained
- 4 to 6 hot dogs, sliced into small rounds
- 2 tablespoons dried chopped onion
- 1 heaping tablespoon prepared mustard
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
Combine all of the ingredients in a 5 to 6-quart slow cooker or Dutch oven.
If using a slow cooker: Cover and seal the pot and cook until thick and bubbly, 7 to 8 hours on low, 3 to 4 hours on high.
If using a Dutch oven: Cook over medium heat, stirring often, until the mixture begins to bubble. Reduce the heat to low and simmer, uncovered, until thick, about 30 minutes.
Serves 4 to 6.
“The promise of Christ’s return calls us to persevere in faith.”
I made these meatballs a little too large, but nobody seemed to care. They were devoured.
- 2 lbs. lean ground beef
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- 6 tablespoons minced onion (or use 6 teaspoons dried onion)
- 1 (16-oz.) can jellied cranberry sauce
- 1 1/2 cups chili sauce
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
In a large bowl, mix together ground beef, eggs, water, bread crumbs, and onion. Roll into small meatballs.
Bake in preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes, turning once.
In slow cooker or large saucepan over low heat, blend cranberry sauce, chili sauce, brown sugar, and lemon juice. Add meatballs, and simmer for 1 hour before serving.
Serve in the slow cooker on warm.
“God may lead us into troubled waters to deepen our trust in Him.”
This was another big hit at our New Year’s/Birthday Party. It was outstanding!! It makes quite a large batch, but it was all gobbled up.
- 1 (16-oz.) jar sauerkraut, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 pound deli-style corned beef, shredded
- 1 (8-oz.) pkg. cream cheese softened
- 1 (8-oz.) pkg. shredded Swiss cheese
- 1/4 cup Thousand Island salad dressing
Combine all ingredients in a slow cooker*. Cover and cook on high setting for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally, just until heated through and cheese is melted.
* I didn’t put mine in a slow cooker. I put it in a baking dish and put it in the oven at 300 degrees for 30 to 45 minutes until it was heated through. I also stirred it occasionally.
Serve this with party rye slices.
Makes 6 to 7 cups.
“The difference Christ makes in your life is a story worth telling.”
Chicken Taco Soup
This is a slow cooker soup that is very easy, hearty and delicious!
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 (16-oz.) can chili beans
- 1 (16-oz.) can black beans
- 1 (16-oz.) can whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 (8-oz.) can tomato sauce
- 1 (12 fluid oz.) can or bottle beer
- 2 (10-oz.) cans diced tomatoes with green chilies, undrained
- 1 (1.25-oz.) pkg. taco seasoning
- 3 whole skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- Shredded Cheddar cheese (opt.)
- Sour cream (opt.)
- Crushed tortilla chips (opt.)
Place the onion, chili beans, black beans, corn, tomato sauce, beer, and diced tomatoes in a slow cooker. Add taco seasoning, and stir to blend. Lay chicken breasts on top of the mixture, pressing down slightly until just covered by the other ingredients. Set slow cooker for low heat, cover, and cook for 5 hours.
Remove chicken breasts from the soup, and allow to cool long enough to be handled. Shred the chicken with two forks and then return it to the slow cooker and continue to cook for 2 hours.
Serve topped with shredded Cheddar cheese, sour cream or tortilla chips.
“The God who created a way for our salvation can certainly see us through our daily trials.”
Bacon Corn Chowder
With these very chilly spring days we are having, I thought soup would taste good. This is a hearty, creamy soup that is so easy to make. My daughter thought it was the best I have ever made!
This is a slow cooker recipe, but I just made mine on the stove on low heat until potatoes were done.
- 1 lb. bacon, chopped
- 4 cups peeled and diced potatoes
- 2 c. chopped onion
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 (10 3.4-oz.) cans cream of chicken soup
- 2 (15 1/4_oz) cans corn, drained
- 16-oz. container sour cream
- 2 1/2 cups milk
In a skillet over medium-high heat, cook bacon for 5 minutes; drain off fat. Add potatoes, onion and water to skillet. Cook for 15 to 20 minutes until tender, stirring occasionally. Transfer mixture to a slow cooker, if using. (I didn’t). Combine remaining ingredients; add to slow cooker and stir to blend. Cover and cook on low setting for 2 hours.
Makes 10 to 12 servings.
“Let us come boldly to the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy.”
Slow Cooker Chicken, Bacon & Tater Tot Bake
This is delicious and very easy meal to prepare. I should have diced up my chicken which I didn’t do, so it was a little difficult to serve.
- 1 (32-oz.) bag tater tots
- 1 (3-oz.) jar Real bacon pieces
- 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts, diced
- 3 cups shredded Cheddar-Jack cheese (or anything you prefer)
- 3/4 cup milk
Spray slow cooker with nonstick cooking spray.
Layer half of the frozen tater tots on the bottom of slow cooker. Sprinkle with 1/3 of the bacon pieces, then top with 1/3 of the cheese.
Add the diced chicken on top. Then another 1/3 bacon pieces and another 1/3 cheese.
Layer rest of tater tots on top. Then the remaining cheese and bacon.
Pour milk over the top.
Cover and cook on low about 4-6 hours.
Serves 8 to 12.
** If you want to make this in the oven instead, spray a 9 x 13 baking dish, layer the same way. Cover and bake 350 degrees for about 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
“The true test of our character is what we do when no one is watching.”
Chicken Tortilla Soup
This is a very quick and easy slow cooker recipe.
- 1 lb. shredded, cooked chicken
- 1 (15-oz.) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (10-oz.) can enchilada sauce
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 (4-oz.) can chopped green chile peppers
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups water
- 1 (14.5-oz.) can low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (10-oz.) package frozen corn
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
Place all ingredients in a slow cooker. Give it a stir and cover. Cook on low setting 6 to 8 hours or on high setting 3 to 4 hours.
Serve with tortilla chips or corn chips.
Makes 8 servings.
“We disarm the power of money by giving it away.”