Quick and Easy Chicken Divan
This is another recipe that is fabulous. A good recipe to use up some of your turkey leftovers after Thanksgiving.
- 1 (17-oz.) pkg. broccoli florets, thawed
- 2 cups diced cooked chicken or turkey (Canned chicken or turkey works also)
- 8 oz. shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1 (12-oz.) can evaporated milk or 1 1/2 cups half and half
- 1 (10 3/4-oz.) can cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
Arrange broccoli in a lightly grease 9 x 9-inch baking dish; top with chicken. Place cheese over chicken.
Combine milk and soup, stirring well. Pour mixture over cheese. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and paprika. Bake an additional 5 minutes.
Yield: 4 to 6 servings
Follow directions above. Microwave at HIGH for 9 to 10 minutes, giving dish a half-turn after 5 minutes. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and paprika.
“Christlike love is patient with the faults of others.”
Easy Baked Chicken Breasts
This is a fabulous recipe that I have been making for years. I sometimes use shredded cheese and use 1/2 cup wine for more sauce. Also, add more stuffing mix and butter. It always gets gobbled up. Serve with “Easy Succotash” and “Wash Day Peach Cobbler”.
- 8 (6 to 8-oz. each) boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 8 slices Swiss cheese (I like Cheddar)
- 1 (10 3/4-oz.) can cream of chicken soup or cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1/4 cup dry white wine or water
- 1 cup herb-seasoned stuffing mix, crushed
- 2 to 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- Parsley (optional)
Arrange chicken in a lightly greased 8 x 12-inch baking dish. Use larger dish if using larger chicken breasts. Top with cheese slices.
Combine soup and wine; stir well. Spoon sauce over chicken; sprinkle with stuffing mix. Drizzle butter over crumbs; bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes. Garnish with parsley, if desired.
Yield: 8 servings
Follow directions above. Cover with wax paper, and microwave at HIGH for 18 to 20 minutes; let stand 5 minutes. Continue microwaving briefly if not done after standing.
“Run the race with eternity in view.”
Beef Goulash Vegetable Soup
Recipe for good health. This soup is made with low-sodium beef broth and no added salt. Very flavorful! Can be made in under an hour.
- 1 lb. extra-lean ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 ribs celery, chopped
- 6 cups low-sodium beef broth
- 1 (10-oz) pkg. frozen cut green beans
- 1 (8-oz) can no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 1 – 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1/2 cups flat wide noodles (6-oz)
Spray saucepan with nonstick cooking spray. Saute beef, onions and celery 3 to 4 minutes until meat is browned and vegetables are tender. Add beef broth, green beans, tomato sauce, chili powder, paprika and pepper; bring to a boil. Cover and simmer 20 minutes. Add noodles; simmer 8 minutes longer until noodles are tender.
Makes 6 servings.
- Per Serving:
- Calories – 268
- Protein – 18 g
- Fat – 14 g
- Cholesterol – 61 mg
- Carbs – 18 g
- Sodium – 43 mg
“I will praise You…; marvelous are Your works.”
Crab Meat or Lobster Spread
A 5-minute quickie, this is a good spread on any kind of crackers, and great for stuffing celery. Delicious!
- 1 (8-oz) pkg. cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 (12-oz) pkg. imitation crab meat or lobster, cut up (or use fresh)
- 1/2 teaspoon dill weed
- Dash of garlic salt
- Dash of Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup sour cream
Mix cream cheese and mayonnaise well; add crab meat or lobster and seasonings; fold in sour cream. May be made the day before serving. Serve in round bread, on crackers or buns.
“We might look good on the outside without really being good on the inside.”
Marbled Boston Creme Cupcakes
- 1 Fudge Marble Cake Mix (I used Duncan Hines)
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 3 large eggs
- 1 (3.4-oz) box instant vanilla pudding mix
- Chocolate Glaze (recipe follows)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line 24 muffin cups with cupcake liners.
Mix cake mix, milk, oil and eggs in mixing bowl for 2 minutes.
Measure 1 cup of batter into small bowl and set aside. Divide rest of batter between the 24 cups.
Blend cocoa (from envelope) into small bowl of batter and mix well. Divide the batter into the 24 cups. Swirl with knife.
Bake for 20 minutes.
Make pudding as directed on package and set aside.
Fill piping bag with pudding and fill each cupcake in the center.
Make chocolate glaze and then dip cupcake upside down into the glaze and return right side up onto your cooling rack. Refrigerate. If glaze starts to get to thick, reheat it a little which makes it easier to dip. (I did everything in the microwave)
- 4 oz. bittersweet chocolate, melted (dark chocolate)
- 1/3 cup heavy cream, hot
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch salt
Whisk all of the glaze ingredients together in a medium bowl until smooth and let sit until thickened, about 25 minutes (I didn’t do this for the cupcakes). Pour the glaze over the top of the cake after it has cooled completely, letting the glaze drip down the sides. Let the glaze set before serving, about 25 minutes.
“Focusing on Christ puts everything in perspective.”
Warm Brownie Pudding Cake
What makes this dessert so irresistible? As it bakes, a pudding sauce forms beneath the cake layer. Cocoa-based and made without eggs, it’s an old-fashioned treat that should be served with a dollop of whipped cream or vanilla ice cream and a big spoon.
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup plus 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1/2 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 3/4 cups boiling water
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease 9-inch square baking dish.
Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and 1/3 cup cocoa in medium bowl. Combine milk, butter and vanilla in measuring cup; stir into dry ingredients just until blended. Spoon batter evenly into prepared dish.
Combine brown sugar and remaining 1/4 cup cocoa in small bowl. Sprinkle evenly over batter. Pour boiling water over entire mixture; do not stir.
Bake 35 to 38 minutes, until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes. Serve with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream, if desired.
Makes 8 servings.
“Where God guides, He provides.”
Skillet-Braised Brussel Sprouts with Bacon and Shallots
These are delicious! Buy small brussel sprouts that are bright green and have firm, tightly packed leaves.
- 4 oz. bacon (4 slices), chopped fine
- 2 shallots, sliced thin
- 1 lb. Brussel sprouts, stem ends trimmed, discolored leaves removed, and halved through the stem
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
Cook bacon and shallots together in a 12-inch skillet over medium heat until the bacon is crisp and the shallots are browned, about 10 minutes. Transfer the mixture to a paper-towel-lined plate to drain.
Add the Brussel sprouts, water, and 1/2 teaspoon salt to the skillet and increase the heat to medium-high. Cover and simmer until the Brussels sprouts are bright green, about 9 minutes. Uncover the pan and cook until the liquid has evaporated and the sprouts are tender, about 5 minutes longer.
Off the heat, stir in the bacon mixture, butter, and vinegar. Season with salt and pepper to taste before serving.
“When we come to Christ in our brokenness, He makes us whole.”