This is a delightful, refreshing dessert. I had an angel food cake mix that I needed to use before the expiration date, so I baked it up in loaf pans and then sliced them in bite size pieces. (Feel free to buy an angel food cake.) It is quick, easy and delicious. Add more whipped cream on top when you serve it, if you prefer.
- 1 medium-size angel food cake, dark edges cut off
- 2 small pkg. strawberry Jell-O
- 1 1/2 cups hot water
- 2 (10-oz.) pkg. frozen strawberries
- 1 cup cold water
- 1/2 pint whipping cream, whipped* (See substitution below)
Arrange bite-size pieces of cake in a 9 x 13-inch pan. Make Jell-O with hot water; add frozen berries and cold water. Let stand until slightly congealed. Add the whipped cream; mix well. Pour over cake and stir a little to be sure all of cake pieces are covered. Put in refrigerator and let set.
* To use Cool Whip in place of whipped cream. There are 3 cups of Cool Whip in an 8-oz. tub, 4 1/2 cups in a 12-oz. tub, and 6 cups in a 16-oz. tub. Generally, an 8-oz. tub subs for 1/2 pint of whipping cream, whipped.
“We can learn the lesson of trust in the school of trial.”