These cookies are very moist and chewy.
- 2 (8-oz.) packages yellow candied pineapple, chopped
- 1 (8-oz.) package red candied cherries, chopped
- 1 (8-oz.) package green candied cherries, chopped
- 2 cups golden raisins
- 4 cups chopped pecans or walnuts
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 4 large eggs, separated
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 1/4 cup brandy (I used water)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Combine first 5 ingredients in a large bowl; add 1 cup flour, and toss gently to coat.
Beat butter at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy; gradually add sugar, beating well after each addition. Add egg yolks, beating well.
Combine milk and baking soda, stirring until baking soda is dissolved; add to butter mixture. Add brandy, spices, and remaining 2 1/2 cups flour, beating until blended.
Beat egg whites at medium speed until stiff peaks form; fold into batter. Fold fruit mixture into batter.
Drop dough by level tablespoonfuls onto lightly greased baking sheets.
Bake at 325 degrees for 12 to 15 minutes or until lightly browned. Let cool 2 to 3 minutes on baking sheets. Remove to wire racks to cool. Store in airtight container. Makes about 10 dozen.
“Immanuel – God with us!”
Chicken & Noodles
This is my husband’s favorite meal. He asks for it every year for his birthday along with apple dumplings. It’s so yummy!
- 9 cups hot water
- 3/4 cup chopped carrots
- 3/4 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chicken bouillon (or soup base)
- 3/4 cup butter (1 1/2 sticks)
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 lb. cooked boneless, skinless chicken breast, torn into large pieces
- 1 (16-oz.) bag Reames frozen noodles
In a large stock pot, mix water, carrots, celery, onions, chicken bouillon, butter, salt, pepper and chicken pieces.
Bring to a boil, turn to low heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
Add noodles and simmer on medium-low heat for an additional 10 minutes. (I think cooked mine a little longer.)
Makes 6 – 8 servings.
“Dark fears flee in the light of God’s presence.”
Cheesy Garlic Bread
This is soooo good! I used Cheddar-Jack cheese for this, but you can certainly use any cheese that you like. Mix and match with Mozzarella, Italian blend or whatever suits your fancy. I wouldn’t use really sharp cheese, though, as it doesn’t melt as well.
- 4 cups shredded Cheddar-Jack cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 loaf Vienna or French bread
- 1 stick salted butter, softened
- 4 cloves finely minced garlic
Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Mix cheeses together with mayonnaise. Set aside.
Cut loaf of bread in half, and then into half again. (If you’re going to grill your bread on a large griddle, you don’t need to cut in half again.)
Spread garlic butter evenly over bread. Grill in skillet or griddle until toasted a medium brown, but not long enough to burn the garlic.
Take out of pan and divide cheese mixture evenly over warm bread, getting cheese as close to the edge as possible.
Bake in oven until cheese melts and is hot and bubbly, about 10 minutes.
Slice and serve.
“God’s name; handle with care.”