Scalloped Potato and Ground Beef Casserole
This casserole is out of this world delicious!! It is so good, you can almost inhale it. Which is what I pretty much did. I love potatoes and the flavor was amazing!!
It makes a large casserole, so I made it in two 9 x 9″ dishes and froze one of them for later. (one of my dishes was a little larger than a 9″ x 9″)
- 1 1/2 lbs. ground beef (use more, if you like) (I added a small amount of sausage in mine as I didn’t have a full 1 1/2 lbs. of ground beef)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 small green bell pepper, seeded and chopped (opt)
- 1-2 tablespoons bacon fat
- 4 lg. garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon dried chili pepper flakes (opt) (or to your taste) (I used 1/2 tsp, but will use 1/4 tsp.next time)
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt or 1/2 teaspoon white salt (I used seasoned salt)
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper (or to your taste)
- 5-6 russet potatoes (peeled and sliced thinly)
- 2 cups (8-oz.) shredded cheddar cheese (I used sharp white cheddar)
- 2 (10 3/4-oz.) cans condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted (using any other flavor of soup won’t be as good)
- 3/4 cup half and half cream
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
Preheat oven for 350 degrees.
In a skillet, cook ground beef with onion, bell pepper and chili flakes until no longer pink, drain fat off. Then add in the bacon fat, garlic, seasoned salt and pepper, and stir until meat is browned. Set aside.
For the sauce, mix together in a medium bowl the soup, milk, sour cream, Parmesan cheese, garlic powder and seasoned salt. Mix well.
In a greased 9 x 13-inch baking dish or a large oval casserole dish, alternate layers of sliced potatoes, soup mixture, ground beef mixture (leave in leftover grease in the pan) and then shredded cheese. (Or you can do potatoes, soup, cheese, ground beef, potatoes, soup, cheese, ground beef, cheese.) Cover with foil.
Bake covered for 1 hour. Uncover and continue to bake for another 20-30 minutes or until potatoes are tender (baking time will vary depending on the thickness of your sliced potatoes).
“Refuge can be found in the Rock of Ages.”