Hearty Baked Beans
This is a meal in one and absolutely wonderful. I served it with sweet corn and mashed potatoes. Not that it needed all of that, but I was hungry for mashed potatoes and my husband was hungry for sweet corn, so I fixed it all and had a lot of leftovers. All it really needed was some cornbread for a side.
- 1 1/2 lbs. lean ground beef
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 bell pepper, cored, seeded, and finely chopped
- 2 (16-oz.) cans pork and beans
- 1/2 cup barbecue sauce (We like Bulls Eye)
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons spicy brown mustard
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 6-8 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9 x 13 casserole dish (or anything comparable to that) with cooking spray.
In large saucepan, brown ground beef, onion and bell pepper. Add rest of ingredients except bacon. Simmer for 5 minutes. Transfer mixture to the casserole dish. Crumble bacon over the top. Cover the dish with aluminum foil and bake for 45-60 minutes. Remove the foil and continue for bake for an additional 10 minutes. Let casserole sit for 10 minutes before serving.
“The death of Christ is the measure of God’s love for you.”