Skillet Macaroni and Cheese
This was so easy to make and quick clean-up after. My version is with ham and peas, but you can make it plain or with broccoli. Delicious!
- 3 1/2 cups water, plus extra as needed
- 1 (12-oz.) can evaporated milk
- 12 oz. (3 cups) elbow macaroni (small shells would work fine also)
- Salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon hot sauce
- 4 oz. diced deli ham
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 6 oz. shredded mild cheddar cheese (1 1/2 cups)
- 6 oz. shredded Monterey Jack cheese (1 1/2 cups)
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
Bring water, 1 cup evaporated milk, macaroni, and 1/2 teaspoon salt to vigorous simmer in 12-inch cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat. Cook, stirring often, until macaroni is tender and liquid has almost completely evaporated, 8 to 10 minutes.
Whisk remaining 1/2 cup evaporated milk, cornstarch, mustard, and hot sauce together in bowl, then stir into skillet. Stir in ham and peas. Cook until sauce is slightly thickened, about 1 minute.
Off heat, stir in cheddar and Monterey Jack, 1 handful at a time, until melted. Stir in extra hot water as needed to adjust consistency. Stir in butter and season with salt and pepper to taste.
Serves 4 to 6.
“To avoid drifting away from God, stay anchored to the Rock.”