Broccoli Mac and Cheese Gratin
Awesome skillet dinner in an hour. So amazingly delicious!! Creamy, cheesy, bacon and broccoli. What more could you ask for?
- 6 slices bacon, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup chopped yellow onion (I used frozen chopped onion)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (I used frozen minced garlic)
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups whole milk
- 1 to 2 teaspoons kosher salt (depending on how salty your bacon is)
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper, opt.
- 1 1/4 cups (5-oz.) grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1 1/4 cups (5-oz.) shredded sharp white Cheddar cheese, divided
- 8 oz. cavatappi pasta, cooked (don’t salt water)(If you can’t find cavatappi, elbow macaroni will work)
- 2 cups broccoli florets, blanched (I threw mine in the pasta water for last few minutes of cooking)
- 2 tablespoons panko (Janpanese bread crumbs)
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
In a 10-inch cast-iron skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove bacon; let drain on paper towels, reserving drippings in skillet.
Add onion and garlic to skillet. Cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in flour; cook for 1 minute. Gradually stir in milk; cook, stirring constantly, until thickened, about 5 minutes. Stir in salt, mustard, and pepper.
Remove from heat. Stir in 1 cup Parmesan and 1 cup Cheddar until melted. Add bacon, cooked pasta, and broccoli, stirring to combine. Top with bread crumbs, remaining 1/4 cup Parmesan, and remaining 1/4 cup Cheddar.
Bake until golden brown and bubbly, about 10 minutes.
Makes 6 to 8 servings.
(This comes right to the top of the skillet, so make sure you use at least a 10-inch pan.)
“Gratefulness is the heart’s response to God’s undeserved love.”