Kale Caesar Salad
Well, I finally tried kale. And this was the perfect recipe to try. Kale still isn’t my favorite thing to eat, but this was really good. Just ask my husband. He loved it!
- 12 ounces curly kale, stemmed and cut into 1-inch pieces (16 cups)
- 1 ounce Parmesan cheese, grated (1/2 cup)
- 3 ounces baguette, cut into 3/4-inch cubes (3 cups)
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 3 anchovy fillets, rinsed
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
For the salad: Place kale in a large bowl and cover with warm tap water (110 to 115 degrees). Swish kale around to remove grit. Let kale sit in warm water bath for 10 minutes. Remove kale from water and spin dry in salad spinner in multiple batches. Pat leaves dry with paper towels if still wet.
For the croutons: Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 350 degrees. Toss all ingredients together in bowl. Bake on rimmed baking sheet until golden and crisp, about 15 minutes. Let croutons cool completely on sheet. (Cooled croutons can be stored in airtight container at room temperature for up to 24 hours.)
I took the easy way out and bought a box of croutons.
For the dressing: Process mayonnaise, Parmesan, lemon juice, vinegar, Worcestershire, mustard, anchovies, garlic, salt, and pepper in blender until pureed, about 30 seconds. (I will use my food processor next time.) With blender running, slowly add oil until emulsified.
Toss kale with 3/4 cup dressing in large bowl. Refrigerate dressed kale for at least 20 minutes or up to 6 hours. Toss Parmesan and croutons with dressed kale. Serve, passing remaining, 1/4 cup dressing at table. (I also add some grape tomatoes.)
“Jesus died in our place to give us His peace.”