- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large ear corn, kernels removed (about 1 cup)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper, opt.
- 2 medium tomatoes, seeded and cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- 1 (15-oz.) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped fine
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced (If you like it hotter, use a serrano chile)
- 2 scallions, chopped fine
- 1/2 cup crumbled queso fresco cheese, opt. (Mexican farmer cheese)
Heat 1 tablespoon oil in medium skillet over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add corn and cook until deep golden brown, about 4 minutes. Add cumin and cayenne and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Transfer to large bowl.
Whisk remaining 2 tablespoons oil, lime juice, salt and pepper in small bowl. Add to corn mixture along with tomatoes, beans, bell pepper, jalapeno pepper, scallions, and cheese. Toss well and check seasoning. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate several hours or overnight until flavor to meld.
Makes about 5 cups.
“Singing God’s praises will never go out of style.”