Sloppy Joes for a Crowd
This is a great recipe for a church supper or when you need to serve a lot of people. I made a half recipe for 6 people and I didn’t have a lot left. I think that tells you they were pretty good.
- 7 pounds lean ground beef
- 1 1/2 cups finely chopped onion
- 1 1/2 cups finely chopped celery
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons prepared mustard
- 6 cups tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
- 2 to 3 teaspoons minced garlic
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 1/2 cups (6-oz.) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Hamburger buns
In a large skillet, brown beef, onion and celery. Cook in batches, if necessary. Drain any fat. Add all remaining ingredients except last two; cook 10 minutes.
Stir in cheese; cook until melted. Serve on buns.
Yield: 50 sandwiches
“May the words we speak point others to Jesus.”