Olive Garden Copycat Zuppa Toscana
My husband loves this soup at Olive Garden so I made this for him yesterday. It turned out very delicious! I am not one for too hot of sausage so I used mild sausage, but he would have preferred it hotter. Use whatever you like for your taste. If you like it more spicy, you can add some red pepper flakes also.
- 1 lb. Italian sausage (I used ground)
- 2 large russet baking potatoes, sliced in half, and then in 1/4 inch slices (leave skins on)
- 1 small onion, diced (more if you like)
- 3 strips thick sliced bacon, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups (4 oz.) kale (more if you like), washed, veins removed and chopped
- 2 (14.5-oz.) cans chicken broth
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 1 1/4 cups heavy cream or half and half (heavy cream will make it thicker)
If you use sausage with casings, remove the casings and brown sausage in a large stock pot. When sausage is browned, remove from pan and set aside. Then put bacon and onion in pot and cook until both are done. Add sausage back into pot and add garlic, chicken broth, water and potatoes. Cook on medium heat for about 30 minutes until potatoes are done. Add kale and heavy cream and simmer another 15 minutes.
Heat through and serve.
“Serving shows our love for God.”