My friend, Betty, made this pie for bridge this month. It was very light and delicious. This would make an excellent St. Patrick’s Day dessert.
- 1 baked pastry shell or prepared graham cracker crust
- 4 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup fresh lime juice (about 3 limes)
- 2 or 3 drops green food color (2 was used, but 3 would be greener)
- 1 (8-oz.) container Cool Whip or 1 cup heavy cream, whipped
- 1 tablespoon grated lime peel
Beat egg yolks in small bowl until light and lemon colored. Mix sugar, salt, lime juice and egg yolks in saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens, about 5 minutes. Cool; stir in food color.
Place Cool Whip in large mixing bowl, fold cooled lime mixture into it. Add grated lime peel. Spoon into pie shell; refrigerate at least 4 hours. Garnish with whipped topping and grated lime peel, if desired.
“It takes the storm to prove the real shelter.”