This is mildly spicy but very delicious.
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 slices bacon, cut into pieces
- 3 bell peppers, finely diced (red, yellow, orange)
- 6 to 7 cups frozen corn (or fresh when in season)
- 1/4 cup flour
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups half and half (I used fat-free half & half)
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 cup shredded Pepper Jack cheese
- 1/3 cup sliced green onions, opt.
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
In a large stock pot, melt butter. Add onions and cook until translucent. Add bacon and cook for another few minutes until bacon is done but not brown. Then add peppers and corn and cook for another few minutes.
Sprinkle flour over the top and stir to combine. Pour in chicken broth and stir well. Allow this to thicken for 3 to 4 minutes, and then reduce heat to low. Stir in half and half, cover and simmer to thicken for 15 minutes or so.
Stir in the cheeses and green onions, if using, and salt and pepper. It is ready to serve when cheese is melted and soup is hot.
“Live the gospel, and others will listen.”