Bacon Tomato Mac and Cheese
This is a copycat recipe from The Corner Bakery Cafe. We order this just about every time we go there to eat. I think this is spot on perfect.
- 12 oz. (3 cups) uncooked elbow macaroni (use anything you like)
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 8 oz. (2 cups) American cheese, shredded or cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 8 oz. (2 cups) sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 medium (1 cup) tomato, seeded and chopped
- 4 slices (1/3 cup) crisply cooked bacon, crumbled (I used bacon crumbles.)
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped parsley, opt.
Cook macaroni according to package directions; drain.
Melt butter in a 3-qt. saucepan over medium heat until sizzling; stir in flour, salt, nutmeg and red pepper. Continue cooking, stirring constantly, 1-2 minutes or until mixture is bubbly and very lightly browned. Add milk, 1/4 cup at a time, stirring constantly, 5-7 minutes or until mixture is thickened. Add cheeses; stir until melted and sauce is smooth. Add cooked macaroni, tomato, 1/3 cup crumbled bacon and parsley, if using. Garnish with addition crumbled bacon, if desired.
“What difference might we make if we overcome our fears and trust God to use us?”