Old Fashioned Chicken Divan
This is a 1950’s classic that I have made since I was married over 50 years ago. It’s rich. It’s elegant. It’s great for a dinner party. (Please don’t be tempted to leave out the whipped cream. That’s what makes it so good!!)
- 1/2 butter
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 2 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup whipping cream, whipped
- 2 (10-oz.) packages frozen broccoli spears (or use fresh, if desired)
- 3 cups chopped cooked chicken (about 1 lb.)
- Grated Parmesan or Cheddar cheese, optional
Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Lightly grease an 11 x 7 inch baking dish.
Melt butter in a heavy saucepan over low heat; whisk in flour. Gradually add milk, and cook, whisking constantly, until thickened. Remove from heat.
Gradually stir about one-fourth of hot mixture into egg yolks; add yolk mixture to remaining hot mixture, stirring constantly. Stir in sherry and next 3 ingredients. Fold in whipped cream.
Microwave broccoli according to package directions; drain. Arrange in prepared baking dish. Cover with chopped chicken. Pour sauce over chicken, and sprinkle with additional cheese, if desired.
Bake at 450 degrees for 10 to 12 minutes or until bubbly and browned. Makes 6 to 8 servings.
“It is our privilege to give everything we have to the One who gave us everything on the cross.”