Broccoli Cheddar Soup
I do believe that my grandson, Nathan, has taken after me for loving soup. This is one of his favorites. And mine too. Very good.
- 10 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup flour
- 4 cups half and half cream
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 lb. fresh or frozen broccoli (chopped into bite-size pieces) (I used frozen)
- 2 cups carrots, shredded (I put mine in the food processor to make quicker work)
- 16 oz. shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
In a large stock pot, saute onion in 2 tablespoons butter until translucent.
Add rest of butter and melt. Add flour and whisk over medium heat for 3 to 5 minutes to cook flour. Stirring constantly, add half and half and then chicken stock until all is blended. Simmer 20 minutes.
Add broccoli and carrots. Cook over low heat 20 to 25 minutes. Add salt and pepper. Then add cheese. When cheese is melted, turn off heat. Serve.
“Let God’s Spirit, not the world, shape your mind.”