Lemon Zephyr Pancakes
You really need to make a double batch of these. They go fast!!
Yield: Sixteen 4-inch pancakes
Cooking Time: 30 minutes
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1 1/4 cups buttermilk
- 1 medium Granny Smith apple, peeled and coarsely grated
- 1 tablespoon finely grated lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons vegetable shortening, at room temperature
- 1 egg
- Pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Unsalted butter, for the griddle
- Pure maple syrup, for serving
In large bowl, stir the oats with the buttermilk. Add the grated apple, lemon zest, shortening, egg and nutmeg.
In small bowl, stir the flour with the baking powder, baking soda and salt. Stir to combine. Add the dry ingredients to the oat mixture and stir until thoroughly combined.
Set a nonstick griddle over moderate heat. Lightly butter the griddle. Spoon 2 tablespoons of the batter onto the griddle for each pancake and use and offset spatula to spread each on into a 4-inch round. Cook the pancakes until the bottoms are golden and the tops are set, 2 to 3 minutes. Flip the pancakes and cook until golden, about 1 minute longer. Transfer the pancakes to plates and serve with maple syrup.
“Christ’s work makes us safe; God’s Word makes us sure.”